Site images now warehoused
Over the past few weeks I have been rather laboriously warehousing the images on this site. I use the RapidWeaver web building application that allows you to add images and format them. However, the result is that the RapidWeaver project file grows and grows. Warehousing resolves this issue by storing the images on the web server and using embedded links to call each image as required. There are an enormous number of third party add-ons for RapidWeaver and many include the option to warehouse any images. For example, my photography pages are built with the Nick Cates Photo Stack and use warehousing. However, the basic blog page in RapidWeaver cannot be significantly enhanced with third party add-ons, which leaves you with the need to format the image position on the page, requiring some code.
My challenge, therefore, was to modify the three sections of this site that use the basic RapidWeaver blog page, namely my film reviews, the golf diary and the long-standing fishing diary that dates back to 2003. The film reviews weren't too bad to modify, as most have only one image, which is centred. Similarly with the golf diary. I only needed one piece of code to sort out most of the formatting in these cases. But the fishing diary was a different matter. Many entries have multiple images and even before I started, the layouts of the individual reports weren't that attractive, with images stacked one above another down the page. This was the time to improve things.
In the end, after browsing forums for tips, I put together code for placing images to the right of the page with wrapped text, which was a suitable solution for the majority of the entries. More of a challenge was placing images side by side with suitable spacing, but after a bit more research I achieved this as well. And I learnt some new things along the way, including the use of the new HTML5 <FIGURE> and <FIGCAPTION> tags. Modifying all the diary entries was a slow process but it's now all done and I think they look much better than before.
The fact that all images are warehoused shouldn't affect the viewing of the site, although in some cases there may be a slight delay as the image loads, during which the ALT TEXT should show. And my project file is now 16MB, down from 115MB.