Blog | Kilburnlad KilburnladBlog

Kilburnlad

Stacks Image 25

A tidy study with a new desk

Since moving here in 2004 my little study has slowly been accumulating more and more stuff. The time had arrived for a good sort out. At the same time I wanted to try to add another small desk. The main desk is dedicated to my iMac, a MacBook, a second screen and a scanner, leaving me no desk space upon which to do written work. The dining room table had thus become a second work station. In January I found an ideal small desk at Made.com, who quoted an extremely long delivery, namely March. This, however, wasn't an issue, as it gave me ample time to sort out the study, which wasn't a bad thing as it turned out.


Leonie Desk

The desk arrived this week and I must say that it was worth the wait. It's constructed from solid oak; not a bit of veneer or particle board to be seen. I could hardly lift the box when it arrived, resorting to 'walking it' from the hall into the kitchen/diner. Fortunately the removable drawer and desktop lightened the load somewhat when it came to fitting the four legs, the only self-assembly required; each requiring just two engineering screws.


I am now feeling very organised after having been in a state of literally falling over things before I started. It's a good feeling. Now I need only to keep things this way!



DVD collection catalogued into compact sleeves

Our DVD collection had long since overtaken the available shelf space, with cases piled up on the top shelf. Hardly an attractive look for the living room. Some while ago I bought compact sleeves from Samba Tech Limited into which I planned to transfer the DVDs. But first I needed to catalogue them, as with no visible spines finding individual films would be a challenge. Fortunately, I had been maintaining a database of the films using the superb Collectorz software, so it was simply a matter of deciding on categories and indexing the individual discs accordingly. I say simply, but in fact it turned out to be quite time consuming.


With a total of 511 recorded entries you will not be surprised to learn that there were a few errors in the data. A couple of DVDs had seemingly gone missing, probably lent out and never returned, while there were a number that I had omitted to add to the database when they were purchased. I decided that I should create a fair number of categories and limit the number of discs in each. Without visible spines, I needed to file them alphabetically, but not as one single collection. I therefore created categories with no more than about 60 DVDs in each. It has worked out very well, and because of the respective numbers in each section, it has been possible to retain the original cases for some DVDs, especially those containing two discs or with special cases.


You can buy folders that each house about 25 sleeves, but this adds to the cost and in our case would have used up the valuable space that we were trying to recover. As it is, the sleeves on their own, when viewed as a group, appear almost like a blank black space on the shelves between those DVDs that I've retained in their cases. The effect is quite aesthetically acceptable.


DVD collection


I can now use the iOS app version of the Collectorz software to look-up individual DVDs, but I've also created a paper listing by exporting the database into Excel, which has allowed me to customise the document to my own requirements, rather than just printing from the Collectorz database. There were a couple of hitches in doing this, the first being that accented characters (in French film titles) didn't appear correctly when the exported text document was opened in Excel 2016 for Mac. I resolved this problem by first opening the raw exported text document in TextEdit and then opting to 'Save As', while changing the Plain text Encoding to Western (Mac OS Roman) in the 'Save As' options. The second was to be careful not to re-sort by title while in Excel. The Collectorz database ignores the words 'A' or 'The' at the beginning of a title when sorting, whereas Excel doesn't. It's fine to sort on other fields, but not on the titles, which has allowed me to create a second listing based on category.


All in all a very satisfactory outcome.



DDoS episode over? Let's hope so

Following my previous post the DDoS situation deteriorated. What started on Monday evening wasn't over for me until the early hours of this Friday morning. It seems that initial attempts by the hosting company to move data to another server didn't deter the DDoS. It decided, therefore, to bring forward a planned migration of the data to a new data store, which was originally due to happen later this month. While this was all going on this Kilburnlad site was effectively down, as were others I manage. If you tried to visit the site you probably received an error message, although there were brief periods when it was functioning in between the various attempts to resolve the issue.


Such a long interruption to web hosting services is very rare and I'm sorry if this caused any confusion when trying to follow links to me from other sites. We're now in a settling down period and let's hope that with the data now moved to an upgraded server things will be more robust going forward.


Show more posts

Webmaster's use only

This website doesn't make extensive use of cookies but a small number are required for the correct functioning of the site and to collect anonymous analytical data.